Adjusting To Virtual Learning: News Article

At this point of the year, online learning has become a daily routine for students at Holbrook Middle-High School, but how do you feel about these adjustments?
Virtual learning is learning strictly done by using the school issued Chromebooks. Teachers send work through a Google made website, Google Classroom. There they can make the due date, number of points a student can receive, and can add comments to the students work.
As the writers of this article and students ourselves, we believe that it is a good opportunity to get used to the new technology, but agree with many that you don’t learn anything from it. Their preference is in-person learning due to the fact that it is less stressful on the student, you’re able to see your friends, and it expands your learning skills.
Some pros of virtual learning is that it’s a safe way for students to get an adequate education. It normalizes using technology, and in 2020 technology is bigger and better than ever before
But does it really teach you anything? According to a study at MIT Teaching Systems Lab, high school students are more likely to fail an online course, and get lower grades while doing virtual learning, rather than in-person. Students can’t get the hands on teaching they need in order to succeed. While you can email your teacher, and search up answers, that may not help you remember the material you take in. Another con of virtual learning is that you have to look at a computer for up to six hours a day. This is terrible for your eyesight and your brain.
What about the kids who don’t have wifi at home? What will they do? If the power goes out and you need to charge your device, what can you do? Especially in low income households, online learning isn’t practical.
Virtual learning is helpful especially during the pandemic. But hopefully it doesn’t stay this way for long. Learning from the computer is increasingly more difficult for students as it strains your eyes as well as your brain, and it makes it harder for less fortunate children who don’t always have access to the internet.