The Student News Site of Holbrook Middle High School

Code Blue News

Code Blue News

Code Blue News

HMHS Favorite Thanksgiving Traditions

Appetizing baked turkey close-up on a background of bright bokeh.

Thanksgiving is a time many people look forward to celebrating with their family and showing gratitude for all the good things in their lives. Since it’s that time of year again at HMHS, our team asked both staff and students about their favorite holiday traditions.

Lately, we have noticed that students are more distracted than usual, thinking about what they are going to do over the break. Even as colder temperatures set in and activities come in doors, there is plenty to consider

We asked Mrs. Griffith, the sixth-grade English teacher, her favorite part of Thanksgiving. She said, “Seeing my family is definitely my favorite part of Thanksgiving. I have a tight-knit family, and love hanging out with my cousins.” Mrs. Griffith also is thankful this year for her baby-to-be. “My husband has been so supportive during my pregnancy. So of course, I am thankful for him too.” Mrs. Griffith’s favorite food is her sister, Megan’s sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and pecans on top. It’s like a dessert instead of a side dish. Most of all, Mrs. Griffith looks forward to all of the leftovers. While there is nothing she cited as not liking, a pumpkin pie did not rank high on her favorite’s list.

Another HMHS staff member, Mr. Kistner, the school’s athletic director and health teacher, willingly volunteered for our interview. He shared that his favorite part is taking time to gear up for basketball season. He also travels to New Hampshire for the long weekend, and hikes in the White Mountains. “It is a good activity to reset for the season ahead,” he said. Mr. Kistner expressed thanks for his family seeing one another. “We have a big family on my mother’s side so it is good to get everyone together,” he added. His favorite Thanksgiving dish? Stuffing. His least favorite is cranberry sauce.

As the athletic director He says “Being an athletic director has allowed me to learn and grow into a new role.” He also explained, “It has been fun but challenging because this is something new for me. I have also learned a lot about myself and the way I want to lead moving forward in my career.”

We also interviewed CJ Feeley, an eighth-grade student. He says “I am most thankful for the generosity that I live with and around.” He also shared who he likes to spend it with the most. “My favorite people to see are my family on my dad’s side because I don’t get to see them much,” CJ stated that he has looked into volunteering but hasn’t yet found anything. He says that he plans to volunteer in the near future.

As for us, our traditions are being changed by the second, and so are others. This has been a truly splendid experience interviewing these people. Special thanks to Ms. Griffith, Mr. Kistner, and CJ Feeley for assisting us while we wrote this story. As Thanksgiving rolls around, we hope students keep trying their best before the break!