Depression Amongst Students

Amy Yip, Editor in Chief

Whether you’re in high school or college, you’ve probably heard of the word “depression” used in the classroom several times. Perhaps you may have depression. Whatever the case may be, depression has been a common theme in our younger generations, especially when it comes to students. Depression is so common in students, to the point where it’s almost normalized. But why exactly do students feel this way? 

A study by the Mayo Clinic Health System, the main causes for depression among young adults are due to them overworking themselves and sleep-deprivation. Most students tend to strive for perfection as early as elementary school, which can cause them to burn out overtime and their mental health to deteriorate. Their study has also concluded that students of color, female students, and those who are in the LGBTQ+ community are more prone to suffer from the effects of depression. 

According to another recent study conducted by the National Library of Medicine, amongst 312 high school students depression had reached an astonishingly high 44.2%. They also concluded that 25.3% suffer with mild depression, while 18.9% deal with major depression. 

But with the percentage of depression amongst students rising, what are some ways to combat it? 

Transformations states that exercising regularly doesn’t only benefit you physically, but can better your mental health as well. It’s been proven to reduce stress and anxiety in students who commit to working out. Schools, such as Holbrook Middle-High School, have various resources when it comes to exercising, like our very own fitness center. This fitness center includes weights, a bench press, treadmills, exercise bikes, etc. 

Another way to cope with depression is seeking professional assistance. Exercising and fixing your sleep schedule can only do so much, but talking to someone you trust about your feelings can go a long way. Your choices for help vary with your preferences, whether you trust a parent, friend, guidance counselor, the list goes on. Another alternative is going to therapy, which a study by the Insight stated that one in every five students seek therapy. 

If you’re struggling with your mental health or going through something, just know that you’re not alone.