The Importance of Museums

Dhir Patel, Editor in Chief

A showcase of history. A glimpse into our past. This is what museums are all about, as there are buildings all over the world that help to highlight different subjects of the world like art, history, or science.

Museums are defined as buildings where objects related to a specific interest are kept and seen by the people of the world. These museums show many pieces of history through paintings, artifacts, sculptures, and much more. These places are always overlooked by many as they are considered not fun and not interesting. While this might be the case for many people, museums still allow us to look at all the history behind us. People will always have their favorite places to go, but for some, museums are very interesting and they look at visiting and seeing the exhibitions displayed.

Learning from past mistakes for a better future has always been an important lesson for everyone’s lives. In history, we have gone through many events. Some were beneficial to our world and helped people in a huge way such as the Industrial Revolution or the gaining of independence for many countries like India or the United States. Others were harmful and harmed the world such as events like World War I or the bombings of Hiroshima and Pearl Harbor. This is why it is so important to remember these events and learn from them so we don’t make the same mistakes twice.

Museums are also important because of the education and information they provide to the people. Learning is essential as most people when they are children attend school. In school, we learn a lot about the history of the world and objects from the past. Students do not learn everything in school, however. Museums are an essential in many places all over the world. Some popular museums include the Louvre Art Museum in Paris, the British Museum in London, the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. and the American Museum of Natural History in New York.

Mr. Espie, 9th grade world history teacher, has visited many museums, even in countries outside of the United States. He states, “Some museums tell a beautiful and inspiring story of how people have changed over time and some like the US Memorial Holocaust Museum serve as a reminder to that humans are capable of horrible atrocities as well. As humans it is important to know our history as we will be judged on how we lived in our chapter.” Additionally, Espie recognizes how people learn about items that fit into our daily lives at history museums and how it really helps us learn about the past. He mentions that his favorite museum is the Air and Space Museum in the Smithsonian System and he appreciates how far humans have come so far from the past.

When it comes to the timeline of events in the world, all of the museums that people have made showcase important parts of history to teach and educate the people. In the future, there will be many, many more museums for the events that have yet to happen.