Sean Joyce Memorial Run of 2021

Christian+Wetzel+placing+first+in+the+Sean+Joyce+memorial+run+

Amy Yip

Christian Wetzel placing first in the Sean Joyce memorial run

Amy Yip and Madison Burnett

The Sean Joyce memorial run is a fundraiser that raises money for scholarships to benefit students of Holbrook. People of all ages are eligible to sign up. This run consists of two loops that starts and ends at Seanie’s Snack Shack at HMHS, through St. Joseph’s parking lot, around the Sean Joyce Athletic/Sumner Field, and back around the school. 

Last year was a difficult year for the occasion due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the annual run was transformed into a virtual fundraiser and event. Participants were encouraged to independently walk or run safely. 

Sean Joyce was a thirteen year old from Holbrook, Massachusetts. During the summer of 2004, Sean passed away from Eastern Equine Encephalitis, also known as EEE. Holbrook has never forgotten about Sean, and his legacy lives on by the Sean Joyce Baseball/Soccer Field next to the Sumner Field with a walking track around both and the presentation of over one-hundred thousand dollars in scholarships to the students of Holbrook Middle-High School. Holbrook Middle-High School has also dedicated their snack shack to Sean. Sean’s memory is carried on by his parents and brother.

First male finisher and course record beater was Christian Wetzel, runner #238. Ayane White placed as the first female competitor to finish the 5k. 

To find more information and results, feel free to check out their website at https://racewire.com/register.php?id=12321.