Varsity Football Defeats Atlantis Charter 27-21

Mickayla Brugger, Football Writer

The Bulldogs came out strong in the first half of the game this past Friday night. Setting the tone of the game with the first touchdown of the night, Brady Sheehan caught a pass from Bulldogs quarterback Billy Curtis. Scoring the first 6 points of the night seemed to be easy for Holbrook/Avon. The Bulldogs defense was a key role in the game. Georges Jean, a Holbrook senior, lead the defense in tackles having 6 and a half tackles by the end of the game. Beginning the second quarter with the Bulldogs ball on the one-yard line, Jameil Clayton, one of the Bulldogs seniors, was able to receive a handoff from Curtis and run the ball into the endzone scoring the second touchdown of the night. Tyrone Duran made the score 13-0 after making the extra point. After the Tritons lost the ball Clayton had made his second touchdown of the night after being handed the ball and running 39 yards to the endzone. The Bulldogs had a comfortable lead going into the second half 20-0. 

At the beginning of the third quarter, the Bulldogs coaching staff decided to make some personnel changes. With no one scoring in the third quarter, the score remained the same. Aiden Centeno had nice runs throughout the night helping the Bulldogs win in the end. Beginning the fourth quarter it was Tritons ball. Atlantis Charter was able to score their first touchdown of the night early on in the fourth. This forced Holbrook coaches to put starting line back into the game. Patrick Colas, a Holbrook senior and team captain, was another key part of the Bulldogs defense. He had 4 tackles by the end of the night. Compared to the rest of the game the fourth quarter was action-packed.  Atlantis Charter scored three touchdowns and Caiden Montas had a 63-yard touchdown run with an assist from Larenz Ward and Junior Villier, ending the fourth quarter with a final score of 27-21 the Bulldogs coming out on top. 

After the game, some players had a thought or two about the team. Aiden Centeno, an Avon senior said, “The team fought hard and there were a few mental mistakes but that’s football. We gave a good game and nothing more, I feel we could’ve done better but we have to come as one to do it!”

Georges Jean  expressed, “I worked my hardest and played even harder.”

Brendan Case, the freshman coach, and athletic director said, “I thought the team played very well, has a lot of positives to build on and should be hungry for more wins!”

Larenz Ward said, “Holbrook bulldogs with a mind-blowing game against Atlantis charter.”

Overall Holbrook had a good game. There are still things the players must improve, however, the team looks very different from last year and are expected to have more games like this one. Be sure to come support the Bulldogs on their journey this season.