Girls Track Team is Runner-Up at League Championship

Aaron Cullity, Staff Writer

Holbrook Middle High School’s track team finished their season this past week. At the beginning, they had to reschedule meets due to bad weather conditions. Meet after meet, the kids worked hard. Practicing profusely paid off in the end. The girls team did extremely well this year, coming in second in the whole league.

The boys team did not score any points at the league meet this year, but they face the added obstacle of facing two teams in a higher division, Southeastern Regional Vocational Technical High School and perennial league champ Diman Regional Vocational Technical High School. Senior Matt Mullen had a strong showing in long jump and triple jump, Jacob Abrogar showed toughness competing in both hurdle races, Aalijah Paul competed in high jump and the sprints, Zach Holbrook ran well in the 100 meters, Devin Ogarron ran in the 200 meters, Georges Jean continued a strong first year in discus, and Will Haney nearly cracked the top ten in javelin as an eighth grader.

Bridget Moore, a returning eighth grader on the team, says, “It’s such an amazing experience just to go to the League Meet, let alone placing in the top 6 for the 800m. I’m proud of our team’s incredible hard work and perseverance. With our brand new track still under construction we did our best to use our town resources at hand to continue our training. I’m extremely proud to be part of the HMHS girls varsity track team everyday, but taking home second place overall in the league makes it even sweeter!”

This year, Lucy Ambroult, Ruby Ambroult, Riley Cochran, and Martine Agusma all qualified to compete in the division 4 championship meet, often referred to as states. Lucy and Ruby Ambroult qualified for long jump, and Lucy Ambroult, Riley Cochran, and Augusma qualified for 100 meter, and Lucy and Ruby Ambroult, Riley Cochran, and Martine Augusma qualified in the 4 by 100 meter relay.

Lucy Ambroult thinks the season went great. She says, “The girls this year did so good. We set so many records and won so many meets with such a young team.” On top of that, Lucy has defended her championship for long jump in the league for her second year with a jump of 16 feet 4.5 inches.

Records were broken for the team this season. Bridget Moore beat her own record in the 800 meter. Her previous record was 2 minutes and 47 seconds. She beat that with a personal best, 2 minutes and 43 seconds. The 4 by 400 meter relay team also broke their record with a new record of 5 minutes beating their previous record by 5 seconds. Athletes included Dalice Rodriguez, Treasure Clarke- Thomas, Azhane Clarke-Thomas, and Bridget Moore. Martine Augusma broke her triple jump record with a jump of 31 feet 4 inches, and Riley Cochran beat her own 100 meter record with a time of 12.44.