GSA Observes Day of Silence

Carrietta Jacques

This poster was created by members of the GSA to spread awareness about the Day of Silence.

Aaron Cullity, Staff Writer

In this day in age, we are taught that speaking out is how our beliefs will get across to a wider audience. On the Day of Silence, however, students did just the opposite. In pledging not to speak for an entire school day, over fifty Holbrook students took a stand against the bullying and harassment faced by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer (LGBTQ) community. The Day of Silence is a national student-led event sponsored by GLSEN. It is meant to show that everyone should be treated equal, no matter their gender identity or sexual preference.

Student Leader of the Gender-Sexuality Alliance (GSA), Ariel Harold says, “I feel pretty strongly about it because it’s about incorporating LGBTQ youth and recognizing the harassment and bullying kids go through in school. This day is about breaking the silence that some kids in LGBTQ community live in.”

Ms. Antonangeli, the group’s advisor, thinks it’s important to bring awareness about bullying and the way it silences LGBTQ youth. She says, “By participating, students are given the power to bring attention to the silencing effect of anti-LGBTQ language and bullying as well as the need to make our schools safer for all youth regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.”