BC Hockey Team Cheers On DiBona, JV Basketball

Niall Horgan

Brooke DiBona with her mentor and the rest of the BC women’s hockey team after the Bulldogs JV basketball game.

Niall Horgan, News Editor

Members of the Boston College women’s hockey team came to Holbrook to cheer on Brooke DiBona during a game with the girls junior varsity basketball team. This is because of a connection forged through Team IMPACT. According to their website, Team IMPACT is “a national nonprofit that connects children facing serious and chronic illnesses with local college athletic teams, forming life-long bonds and life-changing outcomes.”

Brooke DiBona, a freshman at HMHS, was diagnosed with Leukemia in 2010, spending the better part of a year in Children’s Hospital before receiving a bone marrow transplant. Despite this, Brooke has remained with the Class of 2020 as an honor roll student and important member of the school community.

Brooke DiBona during a game against South Shore Voc. Tech.

Her mother, Julie Dibona, says that “it’s remarkable seeing her accomplish the things she has based on her past.”

Gabri Switaj, Brooke’s mentor and a senior at Boston College, shared this sentiment. She said, “We love having Brooke around. She really is an inspiration to us all. I couldn’t imagine going through what she went through, just seeing how strong she is and being able to support each other is incredible.”

When asked about Team IMPACT, Brooke was grateful to have them there.  “I like them being here for me and it made me play better.”