Peace Day Celebrations

Niall Horgan, News Editor

The civics club along with members of the 8th grade class and dignitaries such as Senator John Keenan, the Richard family, and the Jean-Baptiste family celebrated International Peace Day, which is now being recognized statewide due to the hard work of the civics club, led by Mrs. Mary Clougher.

A moment of silence was held in honor of Darren Jean-Baptiste, who passed away at the start of the summer to cancer.

The movement for the peace bill was started two years ago by the South School’s civics club. The students then fought for it to be made a larger holiday.  It eventually went all the way up to the leaders of our state. It was approved and is now a statewide holiday. Ruby Ambroult described the day as, “A day where everyone can get together and be friends, forget about their differences.”

Of the other people in attendance were faculty, police, firemen, Senator Keenan, Darren’s family and the Richard family, whose son, Martin, was killed in the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013.

There was a presentation in the auditorium describing the journey to this moment, including the presentation that was made at the South School in cooperation with Holbrook Community Access Media.  

Jeremy Gilley, the founder of Peace One Day, was so impressed by the work of these students that he sent them a video message to congratulate them.