Holbrook War Hero: Paul J. Surette

Sarah Ryan, News Editor

Holbrook students visited the Vietnam Wall to honor Paul Joseph Surette PFC during their trip to Washington, D.C. in November. Paul Surrette was born on December 10, 1946 to Raymond and Alice Surrette of Holbrook, MA. He graduated from Holbrook High School in 1964, where he had been a member of the track and cross country teams. He enlisted in the United States Army at nineteen years old in September of 1965. He underwent training at Fort Dix, Fort Gordon, and Fort Benning and was assigned to Vietnam in April of 1966. He was killed in action three months later on June 29, 1966.

Paul Surette was the only Holbrook resident to be killed during the Vietnam War. Holbrook’s Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 9813 was also dedicated in his honor. He was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star for his courageous actions during the war. The Purple Heart is awarded to soldiers who have been wounded or killed in battle. The Bronze Star is the fourth-highest individual military medal award. It can be awarded for individual acts of heroism, merit, and commendable service in the combat zone.

Paul Surette is a local hero who made a tremendous sacrifice. He past away just fifty years ago, as the only Holbrook resident to die in the Vietnam War. His legacy is important and will not be forgotten.